On Dec. 31, 1903, the president of the Board of Trustees of the South Baltimore Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital was authorized to appoint a Board of Lady Visitors, which was officially launched in January 1904. Their motto was, "Let us live to better our fellow man, we may not be passing this way again."
The auxiliary still recites this motto at the start of each meeting. The MedStar Harbor Hospital Auxiliary is a volunteer organization dedicated to raising money and making people's hospital stays more comfortable. As it is structured today, the Auxiliary is organized exclusively for charitable, educational and scientific purposes to promote the common interest of the community and supplement the work of the Board. Today, the Auxiliary is comprised of close to 30 dedicated members, each of whom takes a special pride in contributing to the success and spirit of MedStar Harbor Hospital.
Most of the Auxiliary members are community members who participate in running the hospital's gift shop, patient library, candy and book carts, bake sales and hospitality programs. Funds are raised throughout the year by proceeds from the MedStar Harbor Hospital Gift Shop, various fundraisers and raffles. The gift shop is one of few remaining that is open seven days a week and staffed exclusively by volunteers.
In May of 2010, the MedStar Harbor Hospital Auxiliary became the first recipient of the Milton S. Roberts Philanthropist of the Year Award, in recognition of its unwavering philanthropic leadership that has spanned two centuries and generated more than $3 million in support of MedStar Harbor Hospital's mission of quality, caring and service.
If you are interested in joining the MedStar Harbor Hospital Auxiliary, please call the Auxiliary office at 410-350-3596.
Vice President and Treasurer