Vaccinations, or immunizations, are the best way to protect your child from certain diseases for a lifetime. Your child’s pediatrician will administer your child’s shots during his/her regular check-up.
Below is a timeline for vaccines that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend for your child.
- HepB: The first dose of the Hepatitis B vaccine is ideally given at birth, but children not previously immunized can get it at any age.
One to Two Months
- HepB: The second dose of the vaccine should be administered one to two months after the first dose.
- DTaP: Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine
- Hib: Haemophilus influenza Type b
- IPV: Inactivated poliovirus vaccine
- PCV: Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine
- RV: Rotavirus vaccine
- Hib: A third dose may be needed, depending on the brand used in previous Hib immunizations
- RV: A third dose may be needed, depending on the brand used in previous RV immunizations
Six Months and Annually
- Influenza (flu): The flu vaccine is recommended every year for children six months and older:
- Kids younger than nine who get the flu vaccine for the first time will get it in two separate doses at least a month apart.
- Those younger than nine who have had at least two doses of the flu vaccine previously will only need one dose.
- Kids older than nine will only need one dose.
Six to 18 Months
12 to 15 Months
- MMR: Measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine
- Chickenpox (varicella)
15 to 18 Months
Four to Six Years
- HPV: Human papillomavirus vaccine is given as two shots over a six to 12 month period. It can be given as early as age nine. For teens and young adults, ages 15 to 26, it is given as three shots over six months. It’s recommended for both boys and girls to prevent genital warts and certain types of cancer.
- Tdap: Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis booster
16 to 18 Years
- Meningococcal conjugate vaccine: Booster dose is recommended at age 16.
To schedule an appointment, please call
MedStar Harbor Hospital
Outpatient Center, Suite 108
3001 South Hanover St.
Baltimore, MD 21225