At the Spine Center at MedStar Harbor Hospital our specialists treat orthopaedic-related pain related to the spine, which include spine surgeries, the correction of failed spine surgeries, and neck surgery. We also provide treatment of all types of orthopaedic pain, both surgically and non-surgically.
Spine Disorders Expert Diagnosis
Your first visit to the Spine Center at MedStar Harbor Hospital will include a thorough history and physical. Your surgeon also may recommend tests such as:
- X-rays or CT scans: to show the alignment of your bones and whether you have Osteoarthritis or possible tumors.
- Magnetic Resonance imaging (MRI): can reveal herniated disks or problems with internal body structures.
- Myelography: uses dye to show areas where your spinal cord may be getting pinched by the vertebrae in your back. This may be done if a patient cannot get a MRI.
- Bone scans: detect bone tumors or compression fractures caused by osteoporosis.
- Electrodiagnostic studies: can confirm nerve compression caused by herniated disks or spinal stenosis.
- Electromyography (EMG): assesses nerve or muscle damage.
Your surgeon will also discuss treatment options with you once your evaluation and tests are finished.
The combination of our skilled specialists and minimally invasive methods, lead to a 95% success rate. This means that 95% of patients are still content with the outcome of their surgeries five years later.