A heart attack, also known as a myocardial infarction, occurs when an area of heart muscle dies or is permanently damaged due to an inadequate supply of oxygen to that area.
Heart Attack Symptoms
- Chest pain or other pain, which radiates from the chest to the arms or shoulder; neck, teeth, or jaw; abdomen or back. The pain can be intense and severe or quite subtle and confusing and can feel like:
- Squeezing or heavy pressure
- A tight band on the chest
- An elephant sitting on your chest
- Bad indigestion
- Feeling of impending doom
- Lightheadedness or dizziness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Sweating, which may be profuse
- Stress Test
Both medication and surgery are options for treating heart attack patients.
- ACE Inhibitors
- Beta Blockers
- Thrombolytic Therapy (drugs used to break up or dissolve blood clots)
- Angioplasty or Coronary Artery Stenting
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (CABG)
- Learn more about our doctors that treat heart attacks.
Please note: The skilled cardiologists at MedStar Harbor Hospital can diagnose and treat most heart conditions on site. Patients who need advanced diagnostic testing or heart surgery will be referred to MedStar Heart & Vascular Institute at MedStar Union Memorial Hospital, part of our MedStar family of providers, as appropriate.