Our goal is to provide every patient with expert care, quality information, and the resources they need to manage their diabetes successfully. The Diabetes and Endocrine Center at MedStar Harbor Hospital is staffed by an experienced endocrinologist, nurse educator, and diabetes educator, who provides both inpatient and outpatient care to our patients.
Endocrine Conditions Treated
- Underactive thyroid
- Overactive thyroid
- Thyroid nodules
- Overactive adrenal glands
- Underactive adrenal glands
- Calcium disorders
- Paget’s disease
- Addison’s disease
- Pituitary disorders
- Self-management — Learn the skills and training you need to manage on your own, including glucose monitoring.
- Nutritional instruction — Dietitians are on staff to support your management plan.
- Medication management — Instruction for those needing insulin initiation.
- Educational Programs — Programs available for patients, community residents, and healthcare providers.
- Individual Educator Appointments — Meet with the nurse and dietitian to learn skills to manage your diabetes, available for women experiencing gestational diabetes. Read more below.
With proper referrals, persons with diabetes can schedule an appointment with our nurse educator or dietitian educator for individual education sessions. A referral from your primary care provider and pre-approval from your health insurance provider is required. Patients are strongly encouraged to bring a family member or support person to any of our teaching sessions. At your appointment, your educator will teach you helpful tools for managing your diabetes, including:
- Living a healthy life, despite your diabetes
- Controlling your diabetes
- Glucose monitoring
- Preventing and slowing down diabetes complications
- Eating healthy
- Taking your medications properly
- Foot care
- The role of regular follow-up care
- Counting carbohydrates
- Coping with challenges of having diabetes
To schedule an appointment, please call 855-546-1184.
MedStar Harbor Hospital
3001 South Hanover St.
Gruehn Bldg., Suite 102
Baltimore, MD 21225
8026 Ritchie Highway
Pasadena, MD 21122
Janice James, MS, RD, LDN, CDE