In order to ensure a safe and nurturing environment for our patients, we ask all who enter the Women and Infants' Center to respect the following rules:
- Please limit the number of visitors to a total of five (5). Visiting hours will not be restricted during mom's labor. However, postpartum visiting hours are from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- At MedStar Harbor Hospital, the health and well-being of our new moms and their babies is our number one priority. To ensure mom and baby receive the care they need, it may become necessary for the number of mom's visitors to be limited. If this occurs, the nurse manager (or designee) will discuss with mom and mom's designated significant other how long visitation may need to be limited and when normal visitation may resume.
- For pregnant patients who stay in the Women and Infants' Center for an extended period of time because of complications or concerns, visiting hours are 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Visiting hours will be extended for patients who deliver before or after visiting hours. If the new baby arrives before or after normal visiting hours, visiting hours will be extended for two hours after the baby's time of birth.
- Triage patients may have two visitors. Patients visiting the Women and Infants' Center to be evaluated are limited to two visitors per patient while in triage. Children will not be permitted in triage.
- Patients having inductions may have two overnight visitors. While we recognize the importance of having family support at this time, inductions are long processes and are not considered active labor.
- Sign in and wear visitor passes. Mom's designated significant other will receive a paper pass, which will be exchanged for a unique identification band after delivery. This unique identification band should not be removed until discharge, as it identifies you as an important member of the new baby's family. This band cannot be switched during mom's hospital stay. After delivery, only the person wearing this unique identification band will be permitted to spend the night with mom.
- All other visitors should stop at our information desk in the main lobby to sign in and obtain a visitor pass. Also, you will be asked to leave a photo ID (e.g. driver's license) with our front desk for the duration of your visit. Any adult who doesn't have a valid ID may use mom's or mom's significant other's ID with permission from Protection Services.
- Each room has four corresponding visitor passes, allowing for four visitors in addition to mom's significant other. If all four passes are in use, additional visitors will be asked to wait in the main lobby until a room pass is returned.
- To ensure privacy for all patients, visitors asked to step out during procedures should wait in the lounge located near the entrance of the Women and Infants' Center.
- Visitors under the age of 12 are allowed to visit only if they are siblings of the new baby. Visiting children must be accompanied at all times by a visiting adult. Children who are not siblings of the new baby must wait in the main lobby under the supervision of a visiting adult.
- Siblings may attend the birth. Siblings wishing to attend must complete the sibling preparation course and have written permission from the unit manager.
- Siblings will not be permitted to spend the night in the hospital.
The health of our new mothers and their babies is the primary concern of the Women and Infants' Center. Therefore, visitation may be denied or terminated at the discretion of security, the nurse manager or designee, or the attending physician. Thank you very much for your cooperation.