Financial Assistance Policy
MedStar Harbor Hospital, a proud member of one of the region's leading not-for-profit systems, MedStar Health, is committed to ensuring that uninsured patients within the communities they serve who lack financial resources have access to necessary hospital services.
If you are unable to pay for medical care, have no other insurance options or sources of payment including Medical Assistance, litigation or third-party liability, you may qualify for Free or Reduced Cost Medically Necessary Care.
MedStar Harbor Hospital meets or exceeds the legal requirements by providing financial assistance to those individuals in households below 200 percent of the federal poverty level and reduced cost-care up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level.
MedStar Harbor Hospital will work with their uninsured patients to gain an understanding of each patient's financial resources.
- They will provide assistance with enrollment in publicly-funded entitlement programs (e.g. Medicaid) or other considerations of funding that may be available from other charitable organizations.
- If you do not qualify for Medical Assistance, or financial assistance, you may be eligible for an extended payment plan for your hospital medical bills.
- If you believe you have been wrongfully referred to a collection agency, you have the right to contact the hospital to request assistance. (See contact information below).
MedStar Harbor Hospital believes that its patients have personal responsibilities related to the financial aspects of their healthcare needs. Our patients are expected to:
- Cooperate at all times by providing complete and accurate insurance and financial information.
- Provide requested data to complete Medicaid applications in a timely manner.
- Maintain compliance with established payment plan terms.
- Notify us timely at the number listed below of any changes in circumstances.
Call 410-933-2424 or 1-800-280-9006 (toll free) with questions concerning:
- Your hospital bill
- Your rights and obligations with regards to your hospital bill
- How to apply for Maryland Medicaid
- How to apply for free or reduced care
For information about Maryland Medical Assistance
Contact your local Department of Social Services at 1-800-332-6347. For TTY, call 1-800-925-4434.
Learn more about Medical Assistance on the Maryland Department of Human Resources website: www.dhr.maryland.gov/fiaprograms/medical.php
Physician charges are not included in hospitals bills and are billed separately.
Financial Assistance Application
Download the Maryland State Uniform Financial Assistance Application
To determine eligibility or discuss further details, please contact one of the following Patient Financial Assistants: MedStar Harbor Hospital - Customer Service 410-933-2424 or 800-280-9006 (toll free)